Online Services

What is online registration? Español

Online registration is a convenient, fast, and free way to register online for a permit, license, or account with the CDTFA.

Get Started

Register for a Permit, License, or Account

You can register online for a permit, license, or account for Sales and Use Tax and most of the Special Tax and Fee programs. See below for additional information.

You will answer questions regarding your business activities and the registration system will identify the permits and licenses required.

The registration process will automatically save the information at each step, allow you to quit at any time and continue at a later time.

Note: Partially completed applications will be deleted after 30 days.

You can also use the registration system to:

Programs Registered by Other Agencies

Registration information for the following programs administered by the CDTFA is provided by the following agencies:

Programs with No Online Registration

  • Marine Invasive Species Fee
  • No online registration as CDTFA registers vessel owner or operators based on information from the California Marine Exchanges

Renew a License or Request Additional Decals

You can also use our online registration system to renew your license for Cigarette and Tobacco Products, International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) or request additional Flat rate decals for IFTA or Alternative Use Fuel.

Information Needed to Register for a Permit, License, or Account

Required Information When Registering for a Permit, License, or Account

  • A valid form of Identification (Driver License, City ID Card, Employment Authorization Card, Matricula Consular ID, Military ID, Non Immigrant Visa, Non-U.S. Driver's License, Non-U.S. Passport, Permanent Resident Alien Card, State Identification Card, Tribal Issue Photo ID, U.S. Passport Card, U.S. Passport, or U.S. Visa)
  • Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer ID (ITIN)
  • Email Address
  • Supplier Name/Address
  • Personal References
  • Bookkeeper/Accountant Address and Phone Number (if applicable)
  • FEIN (Partnership, Association, Organization, Trust, Estate, Joint Venture, Receivership/Fiduciary, Unincorporated Business Organization, Corporation, Limited Liability Partnership, Limited Partnership, Limited Liability Corporation)
  • California Secretary of State Entity Number (Corporation, Limited Liability Partnership, Limited Partnership, Limited Liability Corporation)
  • Officer, Member, or Partner Information (date of birth, SSN, or driver license and address)
  • Agency Name (Federal, State, and Local Government)
  • Contact information of the person(s) who maintains the books and records (name, address and phone number)

Additional Information You May Need for the Following Programs

Alcoholic Beverage Tax

Beer Manufacturer, Wine Grower/Direct Wine Shipper, Beer and Wine Importer, Distilled Spirits Importer/Manufacturer, Customs Broker

  • Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) License

Common Carrier

  • U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) Number

Beer Vendor

  • ABC Certificate of Compliance

Cannabis Tax

  • Bureau of Cannabis Control (BCC), Distributor License Number (not required)

Hazardous Waste and Environmental Fees

  • Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) number
  • California Employment Development Department (EDD) number (payroll number)

Emergency Telephone

  • Public Utilities Commission (PUC) number

Fuel Taxes

Underground Storage Tanks Maintenance Fee

  • Real Property Parcel Number
  • Underground Storage Tank Ownership Document

Fuel Suppliers

  • Terminal Control Number (TCN)
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 637 Letter of Registration

IFTA/Interstate User Diesel Fuel Tax

  • Department of Transportation (DOT) number
  • Certificate of Registration for Motor Carriers (MX) number
  • California International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) number
  • Interstate User Diesel Fuel Tax License number
  • Vehicle Information

Seller's Permit

  • Projected monthly sales
  • Projected monthly taxable sales
  • Products to be sold

Timber Yield Taxes

  • Operation Number

Use Tax (Vehicle, Vessel, Aircraft, or Mobile/Manufactured Home)

  • Serial Number of a mobile/manufactured home or aircraft
  • Decal Number of a mobile/manufactured home
  • Make of a mobile/manufactured home, vehicle, vessel, or aircraft
  • Year of a mobile/manufactured home, vehicle, vessel, or aircraft
  • Purchase date of the mobile/manufactured home, vehicle, vessel, or aircraft
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of vehicle
  • License plate number of vehicle or undocumented (DMV registered) vessel
  • Location address of mobile/manufactured home, vehicle, vessel, or aircraft
  • Documentation number of US Coast Guard registered vessel
  • Hull identification number of the vessel
  • Tail number of the aircraft
  • Model of the aircraft

If you have any questions, you may contact our Customer Service Center at 1-800-400-7115 (CRS:711), Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Pacific time, excluding state holidays.

Begin Registration

What are the benefits?

  • One click starts the process for the permits, licenses, and accounts
  • You can easily apply for new licenses or add business locations
  • The system is free to use; however, some permits, licenses, or accounts may require a fee or deposit
  • View the status of your application(s) online
  • Get emails with updates on the status of your application(s)
  • Online help and live assistance during business hours
  • Get links to reference materials related to your business activities