Online Services
Make a Payment

Taxpayers ready to make a payment or prepayment may log in here on our secure site.

Make a Payment or Prepayment

Make a Payment

We offer convenient payment methods for those with current and past due liabilities. If you are filing a return, you can pay any taxes or fees due at the same time. Payments can be made directly from your bank account, credit card, check, or by money order. Some of our taxpayers are required to make payments by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).

Who can pay online?

You can pay online unless you are paying one of the following special taxes and fees accounts:

What are my online payment options?

Pay Directly from Your Bank Account

This option allows funds to be electronically withdrawn from your bank account using your bank routing number and your bank account number. There is no fee to use this service.

To make a payment online, visit CDTFA's Online Services Login Page. You can find more information in our Online Payments — Frequently Asked Questions.

Pay by Credit Card

Please note: A service fee of 2.3% of the transaction amount will be charged by the credit card processing vendor. This service fee is retained by the vendor and is not revenue to the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA). The minimum service fee is $1.00.

Pay by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Payment

Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is a method for financial institutions to transfer funds from one account to another, eliminating the use of paper checks. Some tax and fee payers are required to pay by EFT.

Are there other payment options?

Pay by Check or Money Order

  1. If you prefer to pay by sending us a check or money order instead of paying through our online system, there is an option to print a payment voucher after you file your return. We recommend all checks and money orders be mailed with a payment voucher. All billing notices and Statement of Account notices include a payment voucher. Prepayment vouchers can also be printed through our online services system by clicking the “Make a Payment” button on our Online Services Login Page, then choosing “Print a Prepayment Voucher.” We will process your check the same day it is received. This means the funds will be withdrawn from your account the day we receive your check.
  2. Make your check or money order payable to the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration.
  3. Write your CDTFA account number on your check or money order.
  4. Deliver via one of the following methods:
    1. Mail your payment and payment voucher to:
      California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
      PO Box 942879
      Sacramento CA 94279-7072
    2. Send your payment and payment voucher via private courier (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Mon-Fri) or overnight delivery service to:
      California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
      651 Bannon Street, Suite 100
      Sacramento, CA 95811-0299
    3. Hand delivery of a check or money order is acceptable at any public field office during normal business hours.

Our offices do not accept cash as a method of payment. You may contact your local CDTFA office to request an exemption if you must pay your taxes in cash.

Note: If you are a mandatory EFT participant and you use another means of payment (cash, check, credit card, etc.), your payment will be subject to a penalty.

Do you offer payment plans?

Yes. If you cannot pay your total past due amount now, you can request a payment plan, and pay down your balance over time. This could potentially keep you from incurring additional penalties and interest. For more information visit our Payment Plan page.

How do I claim a refund while making payments?

If you are making payments towards a Notice of Determination (billing) and believe you do not owe the amount due or believe you have been overcharged, you may now file a claim for refund using the CDTFA's Online Services Login page. To submit your claim for refund, login with your username and password and click on the account for which you want to request a refund. Then under the I Want To section click the More link. Then select the Submit a Claim for Refund link and follow the prompts. You may file one single timely claim for refund (CDTFA-101, Claim for Refund) to cover any prior payments within the applicable statute of limitations (see publications below for limitation periods), any current payments, and any subsequent payments applied to that billing. If you are disputing more than one billing, you must file a timely claim for refund for each separate billing.

For more information, see publication 17, Appeals Procedures and publication 117, Filing a Claim for Refund.