California Fuel Trip Permit Information

California Fuel Trip (CFT) permits allow out-of-state registered owners to enter and travel into California for four consecutive days without obtaining a license for fuel tax purposes. This permit also allows California registered carriers to reenter California after traveling out of state if they are unlicensed for fuel tax purposes. The CFT must be obtained and completed prior to entering the state.

CFT(s) may be purchased through the following agencies:

California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA)

You may apply for and purchase CFT(s) by using online registration. Online registration is the convenient way to apply and is available 24 hours a day. Most applicants will be able to print their CFT immediately after they submit their application.

If you wish to purchase CFT(s) in person, you may visit our Motor Carrier Office or any CDTFA office. Our offices are open Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., excluding state holidays.

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

You may purchase CFT(s) from most DMV offices throughout California. For more information please contact your local DMV office directly.

Contact Us

If you have questions regarding this program, please contact the Motor Carrier Office at the following address or telephone number:

Motor Carrier Office, MIC:65
California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA)
PO Box 942879
Sacramento, CA 94279-0065

Telephone 1-800-400-7115 (TTY: 711)

Email Your Tax Questions