Amend a Return

If you discover an error on a previously filed return, you should file an amended return and pay any additional tax or fee due, including interest. If you have questions, please contact our Customer Service Center at 1-800-400-7115.

For assistance in calculating the interest due use the Interest Rate Calculator.

If your amended return results in a refund, please read Publication 117, Filing a Claim for Refund.

Please see instructions below based on the type of return you wish to amend.

Amending Returns Electronically

To amend or correct a return for periods for programs currently in the Centralized Revenue Opportunity System (CROS) with due dates after May 7, 2018 (except for FY 18 return periods) which currently consist of Sales and use Tax, Covered Electronic Waste Recycling (eWaste) Fee, Lumber Products Assessment, California Tire Fee, Prepaid Mobile Telephony Services (MTS) Surcharge, Cigarette and Tobacco Internet Program, or Motor Vehicle Pre-Collection, please do the following:

  • Login on the CDTFA's secure website with your Username and Password.
  • Select the account for which you want to submit an amended return for under the "Accounts" tab.
  • Select the period for which you want to submit an amended return for under "Recent Periods" tab.
  • Select "File, Amend, or Print a Return" under the "I Want To" column.
  • Select "Amend Return" under the "I Want To" column.
  • Complete the online tax return with your amended figures.
  • Select "Next".
  • Follow the screen prompts to complete the submission process.

If you are unable to amend your return electronically, please do the following:

  • Check the "Amended Return" checkbox on the return. If there is no "Amended Return" checkbox to check, then please write "AMENDED RETURN" on the top of the document.
  • Write in the correct information that should have been reported on the original return. Use a different color ink to distinguish from the original information if you are using a copy of a previously filed paper return.
  • Attach a cover letter explaining the changes made to the original return.
  • Make a copy of the amended return for your records.

Mail all documents, including any additional payment owed, to:
California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
PO Box 942879
Sacramento, CA 94279-7072

Amending Special Taxes and Fees Returns for Motor Fuels, Cigarette Manufacturers and Distributors:

Motor Fuels Electronic Filing Program

There are two options to correct or amend a return that you already submitted.

Within the same business day as your original submission, email us at *CDTFA Motor Fuels eFile and we will cancel your original submission. You may then submit the new tax form when you have made the corrections or amendments. Please note that the original submission will not be considered a valid filing and applicable due dates will apply to your new file submission. *The subject line of the email should be: (Acct #), (Name) Amended Filing Notification for XXXX Period.

After the business day of your original submission, submit your corrected or amended file as if were an original. The electronic file maps for each file format provide coding options for submitting correcting or amending files, but the CDTFA does not utilize these coding options at this time. Once you have successfully submitted the corrected or amended file, email us at CDTFA Motor Fuels eFile with the following information: date of submission, tracking number, account number, period, and reason for/summary of the correction or amendments

Cigarette Manufacturers and Distributors Electronic Filing Program
To amend a return online, select "Amend a prior eFiled Report". Include all transactions previously reported and amendments.