Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) – Payment Options
The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) offers four different Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) payment options:Open All Close All
This payment method allows CDTFA to transfer funds from your bank account to our bank account. If you are required to make your payments by EFT, and you initiate your payment on the tax due date, you must complete your transaction by 3:00 p.m. Pacific time to ensure your funds are deposited into the state's bank account by the next banking day.
- Making a payment – You can make a payment directly to CDTFA by ACH debit to pay your current and past due liabilities. With ACH debit, the funds transfer from your bank account using your bank routing number and account number. You must file your tax return in addition to initiating the ACH debit payment. However, an ACH debit payment does fulfill your prepayment requirement.
- Warehousing a Payment – This feature allows you to select a future date for your payment to transfer into our bank account. You may designate any banking day up to the due date of the return/prepayment or 90 days in advance (whichever comes first) as the debit date. Your payment will remain "warehoused" until it is released on the debit date you selected.
- Debit Block – If you have an ACH debit block on your account, you must inform your financial institution of our Company Identification Numbers to prevent your payment from being rejected. Our Company Identification Numbers are 2822162215 and 1822162215.
This payment method provides the option to initiate an ACH debit payment through the state's third-party payment processor, First Data, online or by telephone. To ensure your payment is made on time, you must contact the state's third-party payment processor on or before the date your tax or fee payment is due, and you must complete your transaction by 3:00 p.m. Pacific time on the due date. You will need to have your CDTFA account number, and bank account and routing number available when making your payment.
There are two ways to make payments through First Data.
- Online – To make a payment online, you can go directly to First Data's website
- Telephone – To make a payment by telephone, call 1-800-554-7500 and follow the prompts to make a payment for your CDTFA account.
For payments made through First Data, please note the following:
The state's third-party payment processor, First Data, is not under the control of CDTFA. CDTFA is not responsible for the contents of First Data's website or any links contained in their website. We recommend you review the security and confidentiality statements of First Data.
If you have an ACH debit block on your account, you must inform your financial institution of our Company Identification Numbers to prevent your payment from being rejected. CDTFA's Company Identification Numbers are 2822162215 and 1822162215.
Warehousing a Payment
This feature allows you to contact the state's third-party payment processor and select a future date for your payment to transfer into our bank account. You may designate any banking day up to 90 days in advance as the debit date. Your payment will remain "warehoused" until it is released one day prior to the debit date you select.
Under this method, you instruct your financial institution to debit your bank and credit our bank account.
This payment method requires your financial institution to be able to send an ACH credit transaction using the required file format as indicated in our ACH credit specifications, and to use the correct tax type codes when making your payment. Your financial institution may charge a fee for ACH credit transactions. Please contact them for this information.
To ensure your funds are credited to the correct CDTFA bank account, please provide your financial institution with our bank account and routing number. This will prevent your payment from being rejected.
For payments submitted using the ACH credit method, our banking information is as follows:
Bank Name: U.S. Bank
Account Number: 158300185358
Routing Number: 122235821
Making a Timely Payment
Your payment must be deposited into our bank account by the first banking day following your tax or fee due date. You must contact your financial institution to determine when to initiate your payment to meet this deadline. You will need to give them the tax or fee due date to help them determine when you will need to initiate your payment.
The banking industry offers an electronic payment transmittal system called Fedwire. Upon approval from CDTFA, a Fedwire payment can be used in an emergency situation. However, this is not one of the methods approved for ongoing transactions due to the risk of error and the extra cost involved for both the sender and receiver. Your financial institution may charge significant fees to process a Fedwire payment. You must call the section that administers your tax or fee program to obtain approval and instructions before remitting your tax or fee payment by Fedwire.
- For Sales and Use Tax, Lumber Assessment, Motor Vehicle Fuel Pre-Collection, Prepaid Mobile Telephony Services (MTS) Surcharge, and Use Tax, contact the EFT helpline at 1-916-327-4229, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Pacific time), except state holidays.
- For Special Taxes and Fees, contact the Customer Service Center at 1-800-400-7115 (CRS:711), Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Pacific time), except state holidays.