News Release
For Immediate Release
September 7, 2017
NR 17-10
Contact: Office of Public Affairs

CDTFA Offers Tax Relief for Businesses Impacted by Wildfires

Sacramento – Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. has issued emergency proclamations for Butte, Los Angeles, and Trinity counties due to the effects of the Ponderosa Fire, La Tuna Fire, and Helena Fire, respectively. Business owners and tax and fee payers affected by either fire may request extensions to file their returns and ask for relief from penalties and/or interest for some taxes and fees.

Tax and fee payers for the programs below can request relief from penalties and/or interest and ask for an extension of time to file their tax or fee returns either online or by calling the CDTFA Customer Service Center toll-free at 1-800-400-7115 (TTY: 711), Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Pacific time).

  • Sales and Use Taxes
  • Oil Spill Response and Administration Fee
  • Lead-Acid Battery Fee
  • Lumber Products Assessment
  • Underground Storage Tank Maintenance Fee
  • Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Fee
  • Natural Gas Surcharge
  • Integrated Waste Management Fee
  • Energy Resources Surcharge
  • Occupational Lead Poisoning Prevention Fee
  • Emergency Telephone Users Surcharge
  • Covered Electronic Waste Recycling (eWaste) Fee
  • Cigarettes and Tobacco Products Taxes and Licensing
  • Marine Invasive Species Fee (Ballast Water Management Fee)
  • Water Rights Fee
  • California Tire Fee
  • Fuel Taxes (Diesel Fuel Tax, Interstate User Tax, Use Fuel Tax, Motor Vehicle Fuel Tax, Jet Fuel Tax)
  • Hazardous Substances Fees (Environmental Fee, Generator Fee, Disposal Fee, Facility Fee)
  • Mobile Telephony Surcharge
  • Timber Yield Tax

Important Notice: Recent legislation created the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) to administer the taxes and fees previously collected by the Board of Equalization, with the exception of Property Tax, Alcoholic Beverage Tax and Insurance Tax. Additional information concerning this recent change can be found at and at For more information on other taxes and fees in California, visit the California Tax Service Center.