Laws, Regulations & Annotations
Business Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2021
Diesel Fuel Tax Law
CHAPTER 2 THE INTERNATIONAL FUEL TAX AGREEMENT.1
Article 1. Construction
9407. Limits of authority. (a) The IFTA, for the purposes of this chapter, may be used to:
(1) Determine the base state jurisdiction for motor carriers engaged in interstate commerce.
(2) Impose recordkeeping requirements.
(3) Specify audit procedures.
(4) Establish procedures for the exchange of information.
(5) Identify interstate motor carriers.
(6) Define motor vehicles and fuels subject to the provisions of the agreement.
(7) Determine bond requirements.
(8) Specify reporting requirements, due dates of returns, interest and penalty rates, and provisions for failure to file returns.
(9) Specify methods for collection of taxes, interest, and penalties.
(10) Determine methods for the distribution of taxes and interest collected or assessed to the appropriate jurisdictions.
(11) Deny, suspend, or cancel benefits under the agreement to any interstate motor carrier who violates the provisions of the agreement.
(b) The board may adopt regulations to administer the provisions of this chapter.
History—Stats. 2005, Ch. 519 (AB 1765), in effect October 4, 2005, but operative January 1, 2006, substituted "IFTA" for "International Fuel Tax Agreement" after "The" in subdivision (a).
1Added by Stats. 1995, Ch. 555, in effect January 1, 1996.