Laws, Regulations & Annotations
Business Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2021
Sales And Use Tax Law
CHAPTER 8. ADMINISTRATION
Article 3. The California Taxpayers' Bill of Rights*
7085. Identification of taxpayer noncompliance by board. (a) The board shall perform annually a systematic identification of areas of recurrent taxpayer noncompliance and shall report its findings in its annual report submitted pursuant to Section 15616 of the Government Code.
(b) As part of the identification process described in subdivision (a), the board shall do both of the following:
(1) Compile and analyze sample data from its audit process, including, but not limited to, all of the following:
(A) The statute or regulation violated by the taxpayer.
(B) The amount of tax involved.
(C) The industry or business engaged in by the taxpayer.
(D) The number of years covered in the audit period.
(E) Whether or not professional tax preparation assistance was utilized by the taxpayer.
(F) Whether sales and use tax returns were filed by the taxpayer.
(2) Conduct an annual hearing before the full board where industry representatives and individual taxpayers are allowed to present their proposals on changes to the Sales and Use Tax Law which may further facilitate achievement of the legislative findings.
(c) The board shall include in its report recommendations for improving taxpayer compliance and uniform administration, including, but not limited to, all of the following:
(1) Changes in statute or board regulations.
(2) Improvement of training of board personnel.
(3) Improvement of taxpayer communication and education.
* Article 3 was added by Stats. 1988, Ch. 1574, in effect January 1, 1989.