Laws, Regulations and Annotations
Business Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2023
Sales And Use Tax Law
Revenue and Taxation Code
Division 2. Other Taxes
Part 1. Sales and Use Taxes
Chapter 8. Administration
Article 3. The California Taxpayers' Bill of Rights*
7084. Education and information program. (a) The board shall develop and implement a taxpayer education and information program directed at, but not limited to, all of the following groups:
(1) Taxpayers newly registered with the board.
(2) Taxpayer or industry groups identified in the annual report described in Section 7085.
(3) Board audit and compliance staff.
(b) The education and information program shall include all of the following:
(1) Mailings to, or appropriate and effective contact with, the taxpayer groups specified in subdivision (a) which explain in simplified terms the most common areas of noncompliance the taxpayers or industry groups are likely to encounter.
(2) A program of written communication with newly registered taxpayers explaining in simplified terms their duties and responsibilities as a holder of a seller's permit or use tax registrant and the most common areas of noncompliance encountered by participants in their business or industry.
(3) Participation in small business seminars and similar programs organized by federal, state, and local agencies.
(4) Revision of taxpayer educational materials currently produced by the board which explain the most common areas of taxpayer nonconformance in simplified terms.
(5) Implementation of a continuing education program for audit and compliance personnel to include the application of new legislation to taxpayer activities and areas of recurrent taxpayer noncompliance or inconsistency of administration.
(c) Electronic media used pursuant to this section shall not represent the voice, picture, or name of members of the board or of the Controller.
History—Stats. 1989, Ch. 163, in effect January 1, 1990, added "federal," and a comma after "state" in paragraph (3) of subdivision (b). Stats. 1998, Ch. 612, in effect January 1, 1999, substituted "holder of a seller's permit or use tax registrant" for "resale permitholder" in paragraph (2), and added "and compliance" after "audit" in paragraph (5) of subdivision (b).
* Article 3 was added by Stats. 1988, Ch. 1574, in effect January 1, 1989.