Covered Electronic Waste Recycling Fee Registration Information

Who is required to register?

You must register with the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA), file as required, and pay the fee to the CDTFA if you are:

  • a California retailer that sells or leases Covered Electronic Devices (CEDs), which are video display products that the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) has determined to be hazardous when discarded, or
  • a purchaser (consumer) who purchases CEDs for personal or business use, but does not pay the eWaste fee at the time of purchase. Such a purchaser must register and pay the fee to the CDTFA. This includes retailers that become purchasers by removing CEDs from inventory for purposes other than retail sale or resale.

Register Online

You may register for an account using online registration. Online registration is the convenient way to register and is available 24 hours a day.